Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Technology leaves us disenchanted.

Seth Stevenson watches the Clio Awards:
A spot called "Balls," for the Sony BRAVIA television set, won Gold. The spot shows what appear to be thousands of superballs bounding down a San Francisco street. The colorful balls are meant to dramatize the sharp colors captured by the TV set. I felt the ad dragged on a little too long, given that it was a single, simple idea. Then I learned that there were no computer effects involved. They actually unleashed 250,000 superballs on San Francisco and filmed the result. This made me far more impressed.

Comments:
Wow. That is cool. But they misspelled "color."

I'm not a fan of CGI, but for the opposite reason. Not because it looks so effortless that it ruins the effect, but because it often looks so fake. I'm thinking in particular of "Gladiator" and "The Perfect Storm" -- 2 movies that I think tried for realism but did not quite acheive it.
 
I didn't see either movie, alas. My TV is so bad that if I watched them now, I probably wouldn't notice the non-realism.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]