Saturday, December 31, 2005

A FAQ For All Intensive Purposes.

"All Intensive Purposes" -- You know that's not correct, right?

Thanks for your concern. That was the point.

So is it's an intentional malapropism?

Or a mondegreen, although I think that word really refers only to song lyrics.

Where did you come up with the name, "Tyrone Slothrop?"


Slothrop is a character in Thomas Pynchon's novel, Gravity's Rainbow. For more, look here. It has been pointed out that the name is an anagram for "sloth or entropy."

Have you read Professor Irwin Corey's speech accepting the National Book Award for Gravity's Rainbow in 1974?

It's wonderful, isn't it?

Are these your lists?

No. Different Tyrone Slothrop. Apparently the web is lousy with them. Perhaps I could have been more original. I started posting on the internet under that name several years ago.

Why don't you post under your real name?

In my work, I often speak on behalf of other individuals and entities, and I would prefer that there be no intersection between what I say here and what I say at work.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]