Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A Wild Sheep Chase: A sort of review.



I've finished Haruki Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase, one of his earliest novels, and once again I'm hard-pressed to articulate why I find Murakami so compelling. It's not that he draws characters particularly skillfully, and it's not that you get to take a little trip to Japan -- although his characters are deeper than they first appear, and you do get some sense of Japan. For this reader, Murakami comes at you from a different vector than anyone else, and that in itself is a reward. The book jackets variously compare him to Phillip K. Dick, or Don DeLillo, or Thomas Pynchon, but I don't buy it. (I don't buy DeLillo or Pynchon -- I haven't read enough Dick to say, but since it's only the early novels that draw this comparison, I gather the publishers have dropped that comparison.) He's coming from an entirely different place.

Every so often, I remember that I want to write a novel. Murakami makes me want to write a novel.

Comments:
You should write a novel.
 
Martha, you obviously don't follow his work on the Politics board of lawtalkers. He writes a novel a week, at least.
 
Hey now -- my writings on the Politics Board are firmly grounded in reality.
 
Murakami is to good Japanese writing as Vonnegut is to American letters. Ty, Did Bazooka Joe comics make you want to do stand-up?

Hank
 
I've never really care for Vonnegut.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]