Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Book questions

Taking on the latest blog meme thingy, something I haven't done before:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

Not having read Fahrenheit 451, I don't really understand the premise of this question.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

I don't think so, but the narrator of Keri Hulme's The Bone People, for one, seems crushable.

What are you currently reading?

This should come as no surprise to anyone who's been reading this blog lately: Haruki Murakami's Dance, Dance, Dance. I think I've read a couple of Murakami books that I haven't posted about here.

The last book you bought is:

Jonathan Raban's Passage to Juneau. I've been meaning to read this for years; I really liked his Bad Land. I thought I bought a paperback copy a couple of years ago, but I haven't been able to find it in the house. Stacey's is selling hardback remaindered copies for $6.99.

The last book you read:

Chin Music Press's Kohaku. I'll post about this soon, I promise.

Five books you would take with you to a deserted island:

I love big sprawling, encyclopedic novels that you can get lost in and reread, so let's say:

Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow
Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote
James Joyce, Ulysses
The Bible
And can I count all of the volumes of Marcel Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu as one book? Or is that cheating?

Comments:
Fahrenheit 451 is a classic and a good read. It recently won the Best Novel Retro Hugo award for 1954 (or whatever year it first came out). There were no Hugos that year which is why it didn't get this honor until 50 years later.

In Fahrenheit 451 Firefighters don't put out fires, instead they burn books. Ergo the title refers to the temperature at which paper burns. The book is all about a future repressive society where reading books is outlawed. There are a few rebels who have memorized entire texts. So if you were a book, what book would you be? -A
 
But how is that different from "what's your favorite book?" or "which one book would you take to a desert island?"

In any event, I think my nom de plume obliges me to say the answer is Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]